Saturday, July 9, 2011

Homemade Spring Rolls

 We had a carry-in (potluck) at work the other day, and my friend Kemry brought all the ingredients for do-it-yourself spring rolls. After a quick lesson we were all huddled around the table, stuffing and wrapping our own spring rolls and hungrily eating them. They were so easy and delicious I knew it would be my next meal for an at-home-date-night with The Boyfriend. We decided that night would be last night, since he has a swim meet this weekend and I work until Wednesday.

 We ran to the store to pick up hoison sauce, spring roll wraps, and soba noodles. You can use any kind of noodles, these were on sale so I bought them.

 Then I cut up some lettuce, cucumbers, and celery. Traditionally, mint leaves and parsley leaves are used, but I was fresh out of these, so I went without. At work, my friend brought grilled chicken to put in the rolls too, but for obvious reasons we did without that as well.


Then you fill a wide-brim bowl with some tap water and dip the spring roll shells into the water. They will not turn soft immediately. Simply dip them in the water until the whole side is wet, then place back on cutting board/table/plate.

 Place the noodles and veggies on the wrap near the bottom of the wrap.

At this time, the wrap will be soft and pliable, like magic! You should be able to pick it up and roll it without problems. Roll it from the bottom up, and tuck the sides in.


 My finished roll:

And after a few more times I got pretty good!


 Dont forget the dipping sauce! I mixed some peanut butter in with the hoison sauce and sweet begeezus it was a peanut buttery goodness that melted in my mouth.

 Now go make your own!

9 comments:

Allysia said...

That's too funny, I just took a few pictures of making these the other day! They are perfect summer food though!

Michele said...

What did you use the soba noodles for? Is that sauce hot? What are the wraps made out of?
It looks so delicious I want to try it out myself.

Oh and by the way... your mom made a mock tuna salad that was so delicious. She made it with tempeh and vegannaise. Is that your recipe?

Michele said...

It sure is my recipe!! =) isnt it the best?? We just made that 2 nights ago! The noodles go inside the spring wrap...the wraps only have 4 ingredients: rice flour, tapioca starch, water and salt. No the sauce is not hot and u can get any kind of dipping sauce you want...sweet and sour, thai peanut, hoison, etc...

Chucky said...

Wow, Michele. I've always seen those shells in my favorite Asian supermarket but never knew that they'd be that easy to work with. I suppose that I was thinking they had to be steamed or something.

Guess what I'll be buying the next time that I visit Phuoc Loc Tho in Orlando? Thanks for sharing. My two favorite dishes... easy and yummy. I love easy yummy!

Jess - The Domestic Vegan said...

Spring rolls are seriously my favorite food. They are so easy to make & so, so delicious!!! I could eat them every day.

Ashley said...

I've been a little nervous to try and make these because I thought they looked to easy to mess up- you did it perfectly though!

Casey Lin Fitness said...

Thanks for the follow on my blog. Checked yours out and love it. Can't wait to read more!

Jessica @ Dairy Free Betty said...

Hey, thanks for visiting my blog!
Nope I'm not in California! I live on Vancouver Island, British Columbia Canada!!: )

I LOVE LOVE spring rolls, one of my favorite meals!

Chucky said...

Hi Michele. Made some Spring Rolls for dinner tonight and they are AWESOME! WoW! We used mung bean sprout, fresh basil leaves, pasta, sliced carrot and vegan scrambled egg in ours.

I would have never believe them so easy to prepare and wrap. How simple and totally delicious.

BTW... your post is better than a "how to" video I examined on the Internet. They soaked the wraps in water until they were completely soft. Your ideal of simply wetting them and drip drying them made them MUCH easier to work with. They laid out nicely but softened perfectly before wrapping up the ingredients.

Thank you, thank you, thank you! Tiffany and I will be making the a regular staple on our dining table. So, so easy and totally healthy.