Sunday, March 27, 2011

Burrito Bowls

We just made the most tasty little burrito bowls!

I woke up from my nap today "craving" Chipotle burrito bowls. It made me wonder what a craving is really made of. Why did I "crave" a vegetarian burrito bowl from Chipotle? Is it the vegetables I want? The rice and black beans? We essentially had all the ingredients here in the house for a burrito bowl, so instead of spending 15 dollars on two burrito bowls, we made them here!

Step one:
Cook rice according to directions. We use brown rice. Put in bottom of bowl

Step two: Put black beans over top of rice.
To make the perfect chipotle-tasting beans, sprinkle beans with cumin, lime juice, and some salt. I used to work at Qdoba, and their secret ingredient to everything was lime and parsley. We don't have any parsley on hand, so lime and cumin and salt will have to do. We sauteed some onions as well. You can skip the onions, or add for more flavor.

Step three: Corn and tomatoes. We had some tomatoes and corn from the farmers market, so into the bowl they went!
Step four: Lettuce, daiya cheese, sour cream, guacamole, hot sauce, anything else you want on it! We thought it would taste most like chipotle if we put corn, tomatoes, lettuce, cheese, sour cream and hot sauce on it, but use your imagination!

The above was The Boyfriend's bowl for dinner, and the below picture is how I packed it for my lunch tonight at work!

How pretty?! 

My cute little burrito bowl for dinner :)

 There you have it... the most tasty homemade burrito bowl! You could serve all this over nachos, or wrap it all up into a burrito. Be creative!