Monday, May 9, 2011

Eggplant Parmesan & Coconut Water

 I've had an eggplant sitting in my fridge since the last time I went to the Farmer's Market. It's been hiding behind all the other food until today. There isn't much left in the fridge, and I refuse to go to the grocery until payday, so I had to get creative with what we have left to make dinner for the next couple of nights. Tonight we're going big with eggplant parmesan...I can't promise the next couple of nights won't be spoonfuls of peanut butter from the jar :)

 Easy Eggplant Parmesan


1 eggplant
flour
breadcrumbs
basil
oregano
garlic salt
salt and pepper
non-dairy milk (I used unsweetened almond milk)
oil for frying

 Warm oil in skillet over med/high heat. Slice up your eggplant into rounds. Make three bowls: one full of milk, one full of breadcrumbs, and one full of flour mixed with seasonings. Dip the eggplant piece first in milk, then dredge through flour and seasoning mix, then dip into milk again, then dredge through breadcrumbs. Place into skillet and fry.

Eggplant pieces frying in oil
My eggplant pieces weren't floatig in oil. It was just enough on the bottom of the skillet to keep the eggplant pieces from sticking. Also, I've tried this method when making onion rings, and every time I dipped them in the milk, the previous coating would slide off. Not the case with the eggplant; the flour and seasoning mixture stayed put and then so did the second coating of milk, and then so did the breadcrumbs. I recommend using as much seasoning as possible, and maybe even italian flavored breadcrumbs? Like I said, I had to work with what I have, but feel free to throw anything you want in the dry seasoning mixture!

 Continue the process until all of your eggplant pieces are used up.
Lay on a papertowel to dry/soak up the oil.
My beautiful fried eggplant pieces

Cook pasta, or quinoa, or couscous, whatever you are serving it over. I chose pasta, because The Boyfriend absolutely loves anything pasta. Top with some marinara, sprinkle with some vegan daiya cheese, and voila! 

I made this a few hours ahead of time, because I knew it would be a great dinner to come home to after a run. Tonight we ran 10 miles and we were good and hungry when we got home! But first, coconut water to rehydrate!

 I bought two kinds of coconut water at the health food store:


 Coconut water benefits include:

  • helps promote weight loss
  • improves your immune system
  • breaks up kidney stones
  • boost thyroid health
  • fights viruses
  • aids circulation
  • reduces swelling in hands and feet
  • good for burns
  • good for hangovers
  • reduces urinary tract problems
  • aids digestion by removing toxins
One drink has more potassium than a whole banana in it, and since we are fresh out of bananas and just did a 10 mile run, this electrolyte-replacing drink was a must. It's not coconut milk, mind you, it's the water that's found inside the coconut when it's still maturing.

 Have you ever tried coconut water?  This was my first time drinking coconut water, although I have tried coconut milk before (read this post to find out the health benefits of coconut milk). I did like the coconut water, but will probably just continue to drink water to re-hydrate after a run. The coconut water is kind of pricey, and while I'm glad I tried it, I can't see myself buying it every time I'm at the store.


14 comments:

Alessandra said...

Nice eggplants :-).

I only had coconut water from fresh coconuts, never tried the packed version, I should have a look when I go to the Asian store next time, they sell it there.
But I have to find one with no sugar added...

ciao
Alessandra

Jess said...

hey, girly, thanks for checking on me. i'm alive, lol, just decided to take a break and spend less time on the computer and more with my kiddos. one day, overnight i was just suddenly over facebook and blogging. not like i was blogging a ton, but you know how much time even a 'quick' post takes. there are so many awesome vegan/whole food blogs out there i don't really feel mine is that needed. take your blog for example- your blog rocks! i need to catch up on your posts! the eggplant parm looks delish. great jobs on your runs, you are my hero! and i can't say i love plain coconut water. but i love everything else coconut and agree it's so good for you. have a great day!!!

Just Us said...

I'm cooking fried eggplant for supper tonight myself...great minds think alike! I love marinating them in Italian dressing when I have time before frying them.

I love coconut water, but don't buy it very much either...like you said, it's pricey! I've made green smoothies with it, which was very yummy.

Oh yeah...my southern roots are in Jackson, TN. Thats about an hour from Memphis and 2 hours from Nashville. :o)

Tulika said...

Coconut water is my favorite!! It is really pricey which is unfortunate, I'd definitely buy it more often if it weren't! And your eggplant looks awesome!

Jenny said...

Popping over from someone else's blog! That eggplant dish is probably my favorite thing I've seen all week. I did try coconut water once, and I couldn't like it, despite the fact I wanted to. I did, however, buy some again this weekend because I thought I could put it in my smoothies.

Jayanthy Kumaran said...

sounds devourable n perfect..
new to your space..amazing blog you have with interesting posts..love your presentation..
Am your happy follower now..:)
do stop by mine sometime..
Tasty Appetite

Jess - The Domestic Vegan said...

I LOVE coconut water! So delicious & so healthy!

That eggplant parm looks fantastic. One of my favorite dishes!

SuzyEats said...

this looks great!! love how you showed the pics. i have never tried coconut water. thanks for informing me on it.

Ashley Miller said...

Yum! I love eggplant! And your boyfriend eats 'vegan food?!' lol... that is awesome! I wish mine would try some of the things I make. :) I had to make a crazy deal with him once, in order for him to try a raw 'cheesecake!'

Jesse @ Happy Go Lucky Vegan said...

I haven't tried eggplant parm since I went vegan - I can't wait to try! The fried eggplant looked mouth watering!

Get Skinny, Go Vegan. said...

OMG. Eggplant Parm. was my fave pre-vegan dish. My mom always made it!! Think I have made a few times post vegan, but then went gluten free & also don't "cook" a lot!! LOVE IT though. Good with red wine, Frey!

Amy said...

I still need to try coconut water! We sell it at the store I work in and I have heard very good things about it! Your Eggplant parm looks delicious!

Unknown said...

Coconut water is my favorite!! It is really pricey which is unfortunate, I'd definitely buy it more often if it weren't! And your eggplant looks awesome... coconut water benefits

Unknown said...

Coconut water is my favorite!! It is really pricey which is unfortunate, I'd definitely buy it more often if it weren't! And your eggplant looks awesome... coconut water benefits